About Me

My Photo
Jennifer Macker
Hi, I'm Jennifer from Southern California. I'm a creative soul who loves thrift stores, spray paint, DIY projects, and giving old things new life. I'm on a mission to find a new purpose for things and making them more beautiful than they once were.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Bathroom Cabinet Repurposed

Yes, it's been a BUSY weekend
to say the least. I've finished three projects
this weekend and almost a fourth.
I repurposed my previous
wall hanging into 
a new headboard, but still 
need to add a few details before revealing that beauty!
...
This is another wonderfully
 made over gem. 
I still can't 
believe I found it.
It has the perfect, and I mean
perfect measurements
for what I have been looking for.
...
This horrendous piece of 
furniture was just
sitting there waiting for me... in the
clearance aisle at HomeGoods.
Missing knobs, horrible paint,
a broken corner. But, I
knew I could
give it some charm!
And I did.



I started by sanding off the 
red coral paint on top
and removing
the front paneling. Ick.
Gave her a few
coats of my trusty 
Zinsser primer.
This time, I used the water-base type
because I was working
indoors, in the bathroom. Less smell.


Next, I gave her a few coats of
Martha Stewart's Sunken Pool
paint from a sample
size I had on-hand.
(still have 1/2 of that tiny container left!)
...
After the paint was dry, I used
some walnut stain I had lying around the house to 
help give her an aged/worn look.
Using a lightly damp 
sponge or rag, add stain to furniture in a circular
motion, then wipe off with another rag
or paper towel. Work quick, it dries fast!


(oh, and notice my newly discovered way
to paint finnials, legs, anything that rolls, etc. - a cardboard box!)

Lastly, I sanded her with my palm sander; first with 
medium grit, then with super fine.
This gave her a nice
distressed look.
Also, added some knobs that 
sort of complement
my shower curtain rings.





I am in love. 
Just need to add
a few more towels and 
things to the top,
possibly some old mason jars or such.
I'll keep you posted.
...
Until then, happy repurposing
and don't forget
to find the beauty in the not-so-pretty!

~jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio