About Me

My Photo
Jennifer Macker
Hi, I'm Jennifer from Southern California. I'm a creative soul who loves thrift stores, spray paint, DIY projects, and giving old things new life. I'm on a mission to find a new purpose for things and making them more beautiful than they once were.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Repurposed Barstools

After almost buying the bazillion 
supplies needed to sew my own
gumdrop pillow/poufs/seats
to add extra seating
at my coffee table, 
I had an epiphany
and realized 
I had just the perfect solution...
and the best part was 
it would cost me
less than $15 for BOTH
seats (instead of the $150+)
 and hold true to my belief
in reusing and repurposing.
...

I was super excited when
I came up with the idea to repurpose the 
barstools that I've had
for a few years now,
 but couldn't find a place for
in my new home! 
(love when that happens)



I started out by measuring the 
height of my coffee table
and finding the right 
spot to cut my barstools.
(a BIG thank you to Ari for operating the heavy machinery!)
...
I decided to tape the spot 
where we were cutting so the wood
would be less likely to split.


Next, I gathered together
some remnant fabric that I 
already had at home and a piece of
high density foam
I purchased at Jo-Ann's.
...
I measured the size of 
foam I needed to cut for
each stool.
(I was able to get two rectangular pieces
 out of the one foam square I bought.)


I cut my fabric and
began to staple!
Be sure to give yourself
enough fabric to wrap
around the foam and batting
and leave plenty
of room to staple it to the wood.
...
I trimmed the excess fabric off after
stapling and added any
extra staples necessary.
...
I thought the stool
needed "something more" and
I also needed to 
hide those staples!
...so....
I ran out to Wal-Mart 
(because, of course, I couldn't wait to finish this
project later - had to be done right then and there, right Mom?)
 and bought a few yards of
cool fringy trim. 
Hot glued 
it on, cut it to the
length I wanted
 and voila!




So proud I was able to
reuse and repurpose something
I already had. Feels good.

~jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio