About Me

My Photo
Jennifer Macker
Hi, I'm Jennifer from Southern California. I'm a creative soul who loves thrift stores, spray paint, DIY projects, and giving old things new life. I'm on a mission to find a new purpose for things and making them more beautiful than they once were.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grandpa's Shelf Makeover


So I've had this bookcase/shelf that my 
grandpa gave me many years ago. 
(In fact, I think it was when I first started teaching, almost 13 years ago!) 
It's been many colors, the latest white, and it has 
lived in my many classrooms all
these years...painted and repainted every so often. 
...
It finally found it's way home as I needed
a shallow something-or-other
for the empty space in my
little "hallway".
I needed something to
hold my tools and such.
...
This was the perfect piece for the job!
It just needed some
TLC in order
to "fit in" within my home.
...
I'm super happy
with how it turned
out and have 
already filled the baskets
with tools, nails, etc.


I first cleaned it really well
and applied two
coats of primer.
Love this Zinsser primer
because you don't
have to
sand first!


(great hint: set your bookcase on two small paint cans so you 
can paint all the way down to the bottom and not
have it stick to the newspaper!)
...
Next, I used my most
favorite new color by Martha:
Ducks Egg
I only bought the 
sample size
because I was only
painting this small shelf - great way to save money!
(and I still have half left!)


Gave it a few swipes with my 
sandpaper for a 
lil' distressing.


Last step was a 
few coats of Minwax's Polycrylic
Sealer. Another favorite.
Added some
baskets and tags.



All done!
...
Thanks for looking
and can't wait
to see your
makeovers!


~jennifer


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio