About Me

My Photo
Jennifer Macker
Hi, I'm Jennifer from Southern California. I'm a creative soul who loves thrift stores, spray paint, DIY projects, and giving old things new life. I'm on a mission to find a new purpose for things and making them more beautiful than they once were.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chair Makeover






I was so excited to find this
old chair while thrifting with my 
mom in Vegas. What a deal!
$14.99
I knew I could transform
it into something
incredible.
... 
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!
...
So, again, here's what I started with:



It was quite the chore
to remove all those staples and piping.
I found a paint can opener
and some needle nosed pliers to be the best
tools to help me with this.
(Oh, and a pair of scissors to cut
through the fabric and caning.)


Once I got the cushions off and
removed the million handful of
staples, I cut out the 
damaged caning and pulled out
the buttons from
the tufted cushion and seat back.
...
I had to get creative and find
a way to fill in the 
crevice left by the fabric piping
I removed and wasn't
planning on replacing.
I found some
nail hole filler I've had since I 
moved and voila!









After the nail hole filler
dried overnight, I
sanded the entire chair
with my palm sander.
...
Gave it two coats of spray primer, two
coats of my all-time favorite 
Heirloom White spray paint
and sealed it
with Minwax's Polycrylic spray.
(love that stuff!)



Now, came the cushions. Realizing
my sewing machine
was still in storage, I opted
for a no-sew method.

I used the original foam cushions
as they were in 
surprisingly great shape.
I used my most favorite new tool, 
The PowerShot Heavy Duty
Staple & Nail Gun.
(best $25 I ever spent! - SO easy to use!)



For the back cushion, another no-sew method.
Stitch Witchery to the rescue!



And the final result:





Isn't she lovely?
One of the hardest projects I've done yet
and one I'm most proud of.
...
She's sitting in the corner of my dining room
against my favorite
burnt orange curtains. Perfect colors together.
She also has a certain repurposed
pillow sitting atop her.
(pillow tutorial will soon follow)
...
Perfect.Repurposed.Charm.

~jennifer





3 comments:

Jenn said...

LOVE this, Jennifer! You are so creative and I love how you can see the diamond in the rough.

Amber said...

That is so amazing; I would never have seen the potential in the chair to begin with. I find it really cool how you made a beautiful piece of furniture instead of just buying something somewhere.

Jennifer Macker said...

Thanks, ladies! I definitely get a lot of inspiration online and am learning to see the potential in old things.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio